Success and Jealousy

What is your definition of success?

I asked a middle aged man this question the other day. He told me that it was to earn enough to take care of the basic needs of his family and to make memories with them. My parents defined success as simply being able to stay afloat. My definition of success is being independent.

Everyone's definition of success is different. Everyone's definition of success changes. I have no doubt that I will define success as financial stability when I am middle aged.

Hopefully all that was obvious. Now here is the big question.

Does the success of others affect you in any way?

Do you feel that tinge of jealousy when scrolling through facebook, seeing how well your collegues have done for themselves. Are they more agressive? Do they compete with you? Does your family and significant other put pressure on you to get a real job, to earn more money, or to go back to school?

That would make me cringe. Don't let success be a bad word. Don't compare yourself to others, because you are successful, in your own way.

Today, create your own definition of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment