One Simple Idea: book review


I picked up One Simple Idea by Stephen Key because it was recommended to me by Tim Ferriss in The 4 Hour Work Week. I immediatly didn't like it because the preface indicated that the author was prompted to write the book after the success that he gained after Tim Ferriss took his class. I suppose there are some people that really make a difference in this world.

What it's about
Stephen Key's philosophy is that one can become rich, not by making a product, but by thinking of it then selling it. The bulk of the work is getting a company to buy it. He makes his money off of royalties and licensing.

Why it inspires
This book made me want to do something. I wanted to go to the mall and watch people buy things, chat up store clerks and figure out what people actually want to buy. It made me want to be an inventor. I wanted to start a design company and cold call companies.

This book is equal parts encouraging and resourceful. It builds you up, telling you that anyone can do this, and then gives you the tools. The only downside is that the tools are a real bummer. Key doesn't lie, its a lot of hard work to play with the big boys and market to large companies. To be inspired you had to shift through 150 pages of procedure on the best way to protect your ideas and what items to put in your negotiation clauses. It wasn't what I bargained for. However, I was convinced at the end that it only took 150 pages of knowledge to start my new dream of being an inventor.

Who might be interested
Someone who has a lot of ideas but is hesitant about pitching them.
Someone who has one idea and doesn't have the resources to build it.
Someone interested in starting a business and wants to learn about another type of entrepreneurship

Overall I think this book had a rather high rate of return. I read it in a few days and in return I was empowered with entreprenueral spirit. People on Amazon seem to think so too, so far it has been getting 100% 5 star reviews.

Interested? Buy it online here

No comments:

Post a Comment