Be Yourself

 I, for one, hear this a lot. I hear it when I ask for advice, when I am nervous about an interview, and when I am preping for a presentation. Be yourself. It hardly means anything anymore

It means do what comes naturally then not regretting it later. Even if your reaction to the unexpected is the most... unfavorable reaction, it was what you have learned to do.



If something overwhelms you, what is your first instinct? Is it to bottle up, to get angry, to lash out, to blame others, to blame yourself, or just scream?

For me being overwhelmed leads to crying. I was at work once when something just totally flew out of control and I felt tears welling up .I have learned not to regret this course of action. The worst thing that could happen is that they would think I am someone who gets overwhelmed and cries. So what? I am. I am not going to pretend to be someone I am not.



This applies to other situations too. Don't be embarrassed if you don't know how to act at a fancy dinner party, or realize that you overreacted to a jabbing joke.

The reason you do what you do is because you have learned it from some place. You aren't wrong. Sure, you can learn new mechanisms if the old ones don't work, but for now, don't second guess your reactions.

Today, stop regretting being yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment